Do you find yourself moving things around in your closet to try to find a particular item? If so, it's probably time to get organized. Cleaning your closet can seem like a daunting task but the results are well worth the effort. Here are some tips to help you get the job done.
1. You can tackle the project all at once or break it up. If you are sharing a closet or have a lot of stuff, it may be less intimidating to do sections. Just make sure you don't let the process drag out. You should have the process completed within a week's time.
2. Anything that you haven't worn in 2 years or more should be boxed up and either donated or set aside for an upcoming garage sale. Having trouble parting with 1 or 2 items? Hang them back up but reverse the hanger. If you still find the item on the reversed hanger in a year, it's time to say goodbye. You may consider hanging all of your clothes up this way and set a date to pull out anything that is still on a reversed hanger.
3. Trying to lose weight and know you will want to wear certain things when you reach that goal or have you lost weight and are holding on to your “big” clothes just in case? Either way, box up what doesn't fit & mark the outside of the box with the date and size. Give yourself a year. If you don't need them by then, donate or sell them.
4. Once you've pulled out all of the clothes that you don't wear, start to organize what is left. If the closet still seems full, you may consider boxing up your winter clothes. Hang like items together (long sleeve shirts, short sleeve shirts, pants, jackets etc.).
5. Move on to the other stuff. If you have items it your closet that don't belong, move them to a more appropriate spot or get rid of them. Consider hooks or clear boxes for storing accessories. Have a lot of shoes that you occasionally wear? Keep them in boxes and take a picture of the shoes and tape it to the outside of the box so you can easily find a pair.
6. Assess your closet. There are a lot of items you can buy to help with organization (both extremely expensive to relatively cheap). Adding shelving, boxes or drawers can make a big difference.
Do you have tips for keeping your closet clean?